Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Halloween

We had a party to go to for Halloween this year.  I'm not one to spend a lot of money on a costume from the store or online.  I'd much rather think of something that I can throw together at my house or that I can DIY super quickly and for not much money.

After much deliberation, we came  up with this costume.  We were a "To Do List".

It took us the afternoon of the party to make it and cost $20.  My mom graciously sewed the silver and pink fabric to my shirt to make it look like an authentic pencil.  We used a party hat for the top of the pencil and covered it with brown paper and painted the tip of it.  Stephen's costume was just some cardboard for the backing and posterboard.  He drew lines on it to make it look like notebook paper and embellished it with a pipe cleaner for the spiral bound look.  We secured the whole thing with ribbon and velcro so he could wear it.  It was quite the hit at the party!
My mom borrowed the pencil costume for work, too.

My office also dressed up for Halloween and it was my idea that we all dress as Mall Walkers.  It actually kinda ironic because our agency is inside an old mall and there really are mall walkers at the mall who walk it at all times of the day and during lunch. We took the costume contest a step further and decorated our unit like a Mall.

I painted the big signs at my house.  The four corners of our unit were labled Sears, Dillards, Macy's and JCP.  We were having a luncheon that day as well so we had to label that area the Food Court.  My coworker Glenda made all the shop signs on the computer and we reinforced them with dowel rods so they could be seen above our cubes.  It was a huge it with people that walked by, but we didn't win the contest.  Another unit dressed up as the 101 Dalamations, complete with Cruella and her two sidekicks.  It was adorable.


1 comment:

Liz said...

You guys look great. Both sets of costumes, that is.